Monday, May 11, 2009

A fishing day to remember!

5-8-09 Today was a fishing day to remember! After the line was out about 15 minutes I had a strike, it took out almost all my line before I got him turned around the first time. He broke the water about 150 yards behind the boat and my heart dropped. A sailfish!!! I got him in about half way and he turned and ran again. We saw him come out of the water several more times and I thought I had lost him. I had Stephanie put September Song in reverse to help catch up to him. I made sure my drag was set perfectly so he wouldn't break the line. It was a long, long fight, and he just about wore me out before he wore out. I finally got him to the boat, but he was way down deep. after another 15 minutes he finally came to the surface. He was huge, so huge I couldn't lift him aboard with the gaff. He was beautiful!! I had seen people catch fish like this on TV, but never imagined I would ever have the thrill of catching one of these monsters of the ocean myself. He was approx. 6 foot long not including his bill, and I don't know how much he weighed, but I know I couldn't lift him aboard. What a day to remember! The big one didn't get away today! I can't tell you what a thrill it was to see him leaping out of the water and dancing across the surface. It took a long time to bring him in, but now it seems the time went by all too quickly. I'm sure glad I took the time yesterday to put new line on my pole after the last big one took half of it before breaking the line. Oh, by the way, I did catch dinner again today. A 34 inch dolphin. It seemed like reeling in a bait fish after the fight with the sailfish. What a day!

September Song (arms tired) out
Bob

No comments:

Post a Comment