Tuesday, October 6, 2009

only 14 bridges and one lock

We started out early Monday to make our way through 4 railroad bridges, 10 swing and lift bridges, three turtle doves, two french hens, and one set of locks on our way to Coinjock. We hate that stretch of the ICW. Yes, we are officially in the ICW (the ditch) and crossed into North Carolina at about 2:30 yesterday.
We made our way to Coinjock Marina, home of the 32 oz. prime rib. After we settled in and after happy hour we headed in for the prime rib. The 32 oz. is way too much for either of us so we both ordered the smaller cut. Even with that we took home (the boat) enough for another dinner. While we were there we reflected on our last time here with Gypsies. We sure miss them. Today we were able to start late because we were only going about 15 miles to Broad Creek where we will anchor for the next couple of days. Our route will be blocked on the Alligator River due to the Alligator River bridge being shut down for repairs for two days. Did I mention we hate bridges. (sorry all you land lubbers) I decided to see if the crab are as good as Chesapeake crab here in North Carolina, so I have the lines in. I caught my first after about 5 minutes. He was a jumbo Jimmy! I know the blog has been a little boring, but we have been making our way South and not doing alot of exploring. We will slow down and smell the roses in a couple of days so hang in there. Time to go check my lines. I love fishing for those little guys!

September Song (crab fishing again?) out
Bob

Looking up the river in Norfolk at the start of the bridges

Lots more naval ships as we pass more of the shipyards

That's my love and the Admiral of our ship holding the stern line in the Great Bridge lock

Looking at Great Bridge Bridge (no, I didn't stutter) from the Great bridge lock
Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. I hope you guys are keeping good notes of all the FREE stuff and all the wonderful anchorages!! Best guess is that we will head to the Chesapeake this next spring/summer, can't wait to catch some jimmies! Hugs & Love, Life'sShort

    ReplyDelete