Saturday, May 29, 2010

YAHOO, A WAHOO!

Yes, the mahi slayer landed two wahoo at the same time. Well OK, one then the other because I can't reel two poles at the same time. My first catch of the day was a four foot barracuda. I hate that when it happens. It's hard to get them off the hook with all those ugly huge teeth. A while later I was up on the fly bridge while Stephanie was down stairs in the head and we passed through a weed line. I thought, here we go, MAHI. All at once both poles went zing at the same time and Stephanie is still in the head. I pulled back the throttles and ran down stairs. One fish had taken out most of the line so I fought it first while the other pole kept zinging. When I got the first fish close to the boat I thought it was another barracuda. Nope, It's a WAHOO! After getting the first fish in, I worked on the second which had taken out most of the line. Fighting two fish that size was tough, but I got the second one in. YAHOO, TWO WAHOO! What made it even harder was the fact that we were in the Atlantic and had 7 foot rollers with an occasional 8 or 9 to make it even more interesting. I have never caught a wahoo, and to catch two at the same time made it even better. I think it has something to do with the lucky fishing hat that Doug and Tammy gave me. Needless to say, we had Wahoo on the BBQ for dinner that night. I'm all out of breath after telling you that story!
We have been to so many new places these last few days that we haven't been before because this is our first time in this part of the Bahamas. It's alot different than the pristine remoteness of the Exumas, but it's still all good. I can't say it's better than the Exumas, just different.
I am sitting in the pilot house with a cool breeze coming in through the pilot house doors looking out over the beautiful, historic harbour and settlement of Hopetown sipping on a Captain Morgan and Coke in this paradise they call the Bahamas sending you this blog. (got Internet in the mooring field) I've said it before, and I'll say it again. If I am dreaming, DO NOT DISTURB!
We're headed to an anchorage in the AM, we'll be there till we head to Marsh Harbour to pick up the beautiful high school graduate coming in to join us. We may not have internet there, so wait for us, we'll be back.

September Song (WAHOO) out
Bob


September Song on her mooring in the historic harbour of Hopetown.

The Historic Hopetown lighthouse. It is still lit with a kerosene lamp each night.

The first landing spot of the Loyalists in 1785
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment