Sunday, April 5, 2009

The Fish Slayer

The day started out to beautiful calm seas on the Tongue of the Ocean and the lines went in. After about 30 minutes Lucky Stars hooked a dolphin and we were all excited for them but what about the rest of us? After about one and one half hours I was beginning to think I was going to get skunked again, then I saw a fish chasing my lure, come on baby, take it! I was so excited I thought I was going to wet my pants. ZIINNG!!!
I called to Stephanie on the hand held "FISH ON". She knew exactly what to do. I had to keep my cool because before I could grab the pole out of the holder I had to put on my harness and gloves. OK, all set. I took the pole out of the holder and the fight was on. I pulled and reeled, pulled and reeled, and reeled some more. The fish got close to the boat and I shouted DOLPHIN! It was so close, but still soooo far away because now I had to land it. I got it out of the water onto the swim platform, grabbed the leader and swung it over onto the aft deck. (stupid me didn't use the gaff) What a thing of beauty it was, electric green, blue and yellow. 15 pounds and 36 inches long. I was so excited to finally get a fish. THE DOLPHIN SLAYER! Now I was pumped. The line went back into the water and I was ready for another one. It didn't take long and FISH ON!
I put on my gear and again, the fight was on. This one fought harder than the dolphin but I won the fight. I cried out, Yellow fin tuna! I was so excited again I forgot the gaff hook and grabbed the leader and flipped that baby aboard.
What a great day and what a great partner at the helm. Stephanie was having a great time maneuvering September Song to the weed lines and chasing the birds (where there are weeds and birds, that's where the fish are) and watching me on one of the most exciting days yet.

September Song (THE FISH SLAYER) out
Bob


Dolphin coming in. Please don't get off now!

Success!!!!

First fish for September Song. Good job at the helm Stephanie.

The fight, and they do fight
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment