Sunday, June 7, 2009

Sunday on the ICW

Today we left Fort Pierce City Marina at 07:30 for a day of travel on the ICW (Intra Coastal Waterway) referred by cruisers as the "ditch". We decided to take the ICW because of the afternoon thunderstorms that were predicted. It's no fun on the outside (Atlantic Ocean) in storms when you are off shore. The morning was calm and the weather was perfect. As we traveled, I noticed the large number of families enjoying the water and the beautiful day. It has been so wonderful being connected to the water all my life. I couldn't imagine, many years ago, that I would be doing what I am doing today, with someone who loves it as much as I do. I love Stephanie so much and I'm thankful she shares the same dreams I do. As Forest Gump Said, "like two peas in a pod" (a 55 foot pod on the water) We have been cruising full time for over a year now and we haven't killed each other yet. I wonder how many of those kids will grow to love the water as much as we do, and be able to fulfill their dreams some day.
Now to the afternoon thunderstorms. About 14:30 the clouds started to look ugly. We managed to stay ahead of one of the large thunderstorms. When you look at the picture I took of Gypsies in the Palace, you will see a wall of water following us up the ICW. As we traveled farther North, another storm was on the radar to our port. It looked like we were going to make it past before it reached the ICW - NOT. As it approached it grew.
From the radar I could see it had formed what we call a donut. (a defined hole in the middle of the storm) A donut is nothing to mess with. The lightening began to flash and the thunder rumbled. At that point we did a 180 and headed back to the South, away from the storm. After getting far enough away, we pulled into an anchorage and settled in for the rest of the day. Bad weather is one thing you don't want to mess around with on the water. Not to worry, the storms have passed, we had steak on the grill , and we are enjoying a calm evening.

September Song (living our dream) out
Bob


Sunday morning fisherman

Kayaking the ICW

A young family beaching it for the day

Cool sculpture of the Girl and the Dolphin
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment