Saturday, January 17, 2009

Key West Seafood Festival

What a great day! We left at 09:00 today to sunny skies and 72 degrees. Our first stop was at the Nautical Flea Market on Big Pine Key. I love a Nautical Flea Market. Great bargains on tons of stuff you thought you couldn't live without. I tried to keep my hands in my pockets but had to buy that used reel for $3.00, towels for waxing, (no, I'm not done yet) and 100 hooks we use, or should I say lose for $7.00.
Our next stop was the Key West Seafood Festival. This is put on by the Commercial Fisherman of Key West and, man, was the seafood good. We ate, are you ready for this, golden crab, stone crab, lobster, conch fritters, conch chowder, and as a finish we had Cuban flan, key lime pie, and home made ice cream. I can't believe I ate the whole thing. OH, I almost forgot, I bought a shell to make my own shell horn while we were there.
After we left the Seafood Festival we took a ride down Duval Street (we will come back another day to explore that area) and checked out the goings on, and it was going on.
We left Key West and headed back to Big Pine Key to see the blue hole and Key deer. The blue hole is a deep hole in the middle of Big Pine Key and Key deer are only found here. They are about the size of a large dog.
When we got back to the marina it was time to break out the tools and make my shell horn. Little did I know other people had shells to make into horns. We had a shell horn orchestra. The sunset was beautiful, as usual, and we all blew our new shell horns along with the cruisers with old ones. I am getting better at it but still need practice.

September Song (feeling stuffed) out
Bob


Nautical Flea Market on Big Pine Key

Tons of stuff

We tried all of it (BURP)

Golden crab caught in 1500 to 2000 feet of water off shore in the Key's
Posted by Picasa

No comments:

Post a Comment